Old 04-04-09, 11:04 AM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dizon510
I was told that riding on sidewalks is illegal, so I have been riding on the road as close to the sidewalk/parked cars as possible.
That's asking for trouble, big time. Especially when it comes to parked cars and their doors opening. Check this out: http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm .

I recently went on a ride via a major street. The traffic was fairly heavy/fast and the road had a ton of potholes. The combination of the traffic and poor road conditions made the ride somewhat scary. Some potholes/large cracks seemed unavoidable. My friend was riding behind me so I was afraid to break hard. I didn't want to swerve to the left further into the lane because of cars and I didn't want to hit the hole/crack head on because it might damage the wheels of the bike.

As I typed this up I realized going slow would probably be the easiest solution, but I'm curious as to how more experienced riders deal with traffic/road conditions in more urban areas.
The key is to give yourself enough space to avoid potholes and to give yourself some breathing room. This means moving further left into the lane. And I don't mean swerving, I mean moving out there and maintaining this position, riding in a straight line. This way you're safe and predictable. Different riders have different preferences (e.g., right tire track or centre of the lane), and it's situation-dependent, but that's the general idea.

Another good idea is to study the maps and explore the roads in your area: you might find smoother and quieter alternatives that make for a more relaxing ride, especially for someone who's just getting accustomed to riding in traffic.

I had also considered putting thinner tires on my bike, but now that seems like such a bad idea with the road conditions in certain areas. Im curious, how do road bikes with skinny tires/no suspension deal with rougher conditions?
Most experienced urban riders who value speed (e.g. couriers) tend to prefer somewhat skinny tires and no suspension in urban conditions. A little bit of skill will keep you straight and rubber side down even through the roughest potholes, and good bikes, with properly tuned wheels, aren't at all fragile. Now, this is coming from a 120-pound rider. If you're a bit heavier, you might be interested in checking out the Clydesdales board, with lots of useful info on sturdy bikes and bike components.