Old 04-05-09, 06:34 PM
dizon510
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding close to the curb/parked cars because I had read @ http://www.bikelink.com/law_safety.htm that this was the policy in California.

"Duty of Bicycle Operator: Operation On Roadway. VC 21202
a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
  1. When overtaking and passing another bicycle or motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
  2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
  3. When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane."
The last section seems to imply that it is fine for vehicles to pass you in the same lane, rather than have to switch lanes to pass.

Has anyone ever been pulled over in California, especially Southern California, for riding in the middle of the lane (closest to the curb)? The major street I was referring to initially was Wilshire Blvd from Westwood to Santa Monica. I'm pretty sure I would piss off quite a few drivers if I occupied the entire rightmost lane.