Old 04-05-09, 10:30 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dizon510
The last section seems to imply that it is fine for vehicles to pass you in the same lane, rather than have to switch lanes to pass.
Yes, it is legal for them to do so, as long as it's done "safely" (some places specify a minimum lateral distance between cyclist and passing car, but most don't). It's also legal for you to prevent them from doing so, if the lane is too narrow.

Has anyone ever been pulled over in California, especially Southern California, for riding in the middle of the lane (closest to the curb)? The major street I was referring to initially was Wilshire Blvd from Westwood to Santa Monica. I'm pretty sure I would piss off quite a few drivers if I occupied the entire rightmost lane.
I would say getting pulled over is not a big concern: in the unlikely event that it happens you'll just get a lecture from some ignorant cop. Listen and nod, ask for a badge number, report him later if you feel like it. If he goes so far as to write you a ticket (unlikely, in my opinion), just point out the relevant traffic laws, and it should be fine. Because you'll be basically and undeniably in the right. (Sometimes even being obviously in the right is not enough, but I think we're getting into real unlikely events territory already.)

Your concern should not be the cops; it should be your comfort and safety. Do what works for you. You don't have to ride in the middle of the way - just far enough out to avoid potholes, have some escape room, and force drivers to slow down and change lanes at least partially in order to pass you. Pedal with a fast, constant cadence (75+ pedal revolutions per minute), go in an unwavering straight line, and look like you know what you're doing. Or - look around for a more relaxed route. Looking at Google maps, I see a lot of sideroads - the only stretch where there are no alternatives is the one that goes through Los Angelos Country Club: and it really is quite a short stretch. It would also be quite safe to ride on the sidewalk for that stretch, if there is a sidewalk, because there are no driveways and probably very few peds.