View Single Post
Old 04-06-09, 11:23 AM
ljonesjo

Bikes: Bianchi Boron XL, KHS Cross Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I would post an update regarding our problem and the solutions so far. I took the bike back to the LBS where I bought it. They felt that the chainline was good so they did not mess with it. The front deraileur did not need to be replaced. The derailleur probably twisted slightly, this is what had caused the major change on the fronting shifting performance from one ride to the next. They also adjusted the cable tension and cleaned and lubed the cable. The poor shifting performance from the big ring down to the middle ring seemed to be a combination of calbe tension and too much friction in the cable.

We took the bike out for a 40 miler on Saturday with hils and did not have any further problems with the front derailleur. Because the front derailleur does not have trim, I still am not very happy with the total number of usable gears. This leads me to my next request:

I am now thinking of changing the shifters from the flat bar 8 speed currently on the bike to some drop bar brifters in either a 9 speed or 10 speed configuration. The goal of the equipment change would be to give me better derailleur trim as well as improve the large jumps in gearing I currently have with the 8 speed. I would like feedback from people regarding using 9 speed versus 10 speed. and what models have good trim for the front.