Old 04-06-09, 03:14 PM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone riding a proper singlespeed/fixie...

...with chain tugs on bonafide horizontal fork ends and
NOT using any chain oil?
I'm not talking about a neglected chain, but one with the oil cleaned off.

I've been riding this setup on a few different bikes for years now and am pretty confused why anyone would want to dirty their bike up with oil and risk stains, dirt attraction, additional maintenance, etc. I know most of you guys are riding conversions or making do with horizontal drops and I can understand why track racers would benefit from a little extra slipperyness on a clean indoor track, but in my experience a straight chainline with the tension dialed in just right runs smoothly and efficiently with or without oil.

The reason I'm posting is because I'm so satisfied running oil free that I won't even consider buying new bikes with derailleurs, springloaded tensioners, or dropouts for fear of losing the magic. This is a problem because I've got the new bike bug and my selection of bikes with horizontal fork ends is rather limited.

Am I alone?
Perhaps I should mention that I did dip my chains in hot wax after I cleaned off all the oil, but that was years ago and as far as I can tell there's no remaining residue.