Old 04-06-09, 04:36 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
...with chain tugs on bonafide horizontal fork ends and
NOT using any chain oil?
I'm not talking about a neglected chain, but one with the oil cleaned off.

I've been riding this setup on a few different bikes for years now and am pretty confused why anyone would want to dirty their bike up with oil and risk stains, dirt attraction, additional maintenance, etc. I know most of you guys are riding conversions or making do with horizontal drops and I can understand why track racers would benefit from a little extra slipperyness on a clean indoor track, but in my experience a straight chainline with the tension dialed in just right runs smoothly and efficiently with or without oil.

The reason I'm posting is because I'm so satisfied running oil free that I won't even consider buying new bikes with derailleurs, springloaded tensioners, or dropouts for fear of losing the magic. This is a problem because I've got the new bike bug and my selection of bikes with horizontal fork ends is rather limited.

Am I alone?
Perhaps I should mention that I did dip my chains in hot wax after I cleaned off all the oil, but that was years ago and as far as I can tell there's no remaining residue.
are you talkin' forged horizontal drops? or true track fork ends? as for the oil thing? well thats just plain stupid, not you! Just the "oil thing"
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve