banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got smooshed by a car today! :D

Oh, that was flippant. I got hit by a car today. In a nutshell:

Cole (whose schwinn I fixed up, see that other thread) and I woke up at his house this morning. (I'd spent the night because it was raining.) So, I decided to ride with him to his school before going home, and drop some flowers off for Ms. Banjo Mole along the way.

Didn't see the lady, so I gave the flowers to Cole to give to her. I then proceeded to continue downhill, riding with traffic.

Upcoming was a right hand turn into the campus for kids being dropped off. The SUV beside me started to slow down for a turn, so I shifted up and zipped ahead, to get across the turn before the SUV went right. (And oh my, was I haulin'...) Unfortunately..

As I was crossing the turn, a car from the oncoming traffic turned left into the same turn I was concerned about being hit from by the SUV turning right!

So, sprinting, to avoid being hit (probably at about 20 mph) I rode straight into the side of a car which turned into me.

Umm... I flew forward into the car, knocked the beanie and glasses right off my head.

I bounced back off the car and the bike (thank god the toeclips weren't too tight) and fell on my left side.

The wind was knocked out of me, very badly, and my insides still feel wierd/sore. (I sure hope nothing inside me is effed up, that'd be scary) My knee is abraised and mostly just extremely sore, as is my left shoulder and neck.

I recall then the principal running out and stopping the car (was it going to drive off? I dunno, I was shocked) and I was searching for my glasses, which had stuck to the car... (Unharmed! ) I walked up and waited, a nurse took a look at me, took my blood pressure and all that, vague simple school-nurse things; and then a cop arrived.

He took everything down about the incident (the people in the other car insisted I'd been riding on the sidewalk, possibly to cover their hides, but that's bull, I don't ride on the sidewalk and if I had I wouldn't have crashed in the first place!) and then I got a ride home, after he took down the info on my frame.

Centurion
Pink/White (It's fuschia!)
Serial Number
Damages:

Top Tube
Brake

The top tube's paint had flaked in a spot, I feel no noticeable ripple in the steel, but...
The brake doesn't work now, I need a new cable and adjustment, etc.
The fork isn't bent, because the wheel just twisted instead, my stem wasn't tight so that saved the fork.

Well, now the Centurion needs a repaint before I can sell it, defeating the purpose of having it clean to sell.

Anyway, you almost lost Banjo_mole today.

Crap... I'm kind of shocked.

-Nick