View Single Post
Old 04-08-09, 08:35 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zeppinger
I realize that we are talking about ideals here but this is LCF so I thought I would mention a little bit about sustainability. Like I said, country is not my thing. Go live out with the inbred, white trash, isolated, anti-social, nothing to do, watch the wheat grow, no services, gossip ridden small towns if you want to. I prefer the city with people and things to do.

No need to hate on people with city preferences or people with country preferences. Im just saying that one is unsustainable on a large scale.
I side with Machka on this one.

Sometimes it is time to toss the Fertilizer Flag. This insistence on big cities is getting a bit oppressive. We talk about LCF as being better for nature but if we don’t enjoy nature what good is it? Big city living has its place but it sure isn’t natural. It is 100 percent man made of Glass, steel and concrete. How many big city dwellers even know they could see the Seven Sisters better known as the Pleiades, with the naked eye? It is true without all that light pollution we have a sky above us that is beautiful to observe. In the winter you can look at Orion’s belt and without a telescope detect a Nebula and with a good pair of binoculars you can see two right about where the sword is.

There are animals that actually live in the wild and places you can park your bike without locking it up. Hard to believe I know. I happen to live where there are dairy farms and fruit orchards and bank clerks that know you first name. I can ride to a lake to fish or go to the hardware store by bike if I wish. There are even streets not that far from me where kids can still play catch in the street.

All you have to do is fly over the country and you will see we have plenty of room to live with nature rather than build glass and steel fortresses trying to hold nature at arms length. The Big cities look like giant spot lights or hot spots pointing to the sky in defiance of nature. If we ever have to live like Blade Runner or THX1138 then why live? How much heat do we believe a large city reflects back into the sky and change weather patterns? I don’t know but since the question was what was my ideal city it would not be one as anti nature as a large City. I have no problem with people wishing to avoid nature and living in a big city but I wish they would be content with living there themselves and stop trying to convince the people that are free to enjoy a little less concrete and steel that somehow we are missing something. If we can’t even agree on the idea, “to each his own” how in the world are we ever going to see a change in this world?