View Single Post
Old 04-11-09, 10:43 PM
hmarcks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
French SS Conversion Help

Hello, I'm looking to convert an old French bicycle (Hosteler - seems to be somewhat of a mystery bike) to a singlespeed. I was riding it with most original parts for a while, but I think it's time to get rid of the extra baggage. The shifting has never been all that smooth - I don't think I've attempted to change gears in a week. I replaced the front wheel not too long ago with an aluminum one after the steel one was swallowed up underneath an electric wheelchair (I don't want to talk about it), and the back wheel is so bent my rear brake is worthless.

Anywho, I would like to convert to a SS, but I've heard the French builds may make this difficult. I would like to try this on my own, but if you think it should definitely be left to a shop, let me know (I don't have much experience working on bikes, but I do have time and the internet).

SO, what should I/the mechanic know about this older French bike that may cause complications? Maybe it's not worth doing at all...

I'm pretty low on funds, so I'd like to keep the current bb/chainring/cranks, but I'll need to get a new rear hub/cog/wheel.

Thank you for any advice!