DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,004 Times in 1,629 Posts
Originally Posted by classic1
I don't think you'll disagree with this diablo. You could do that, except no one has given a stuff about the protour since it came to being. It can't even get a title sponsor. IIRC Cadel Evans won the Protour without having won a race in the whole series. Lame. To be fair the bloke he was incredibly consistent and won stages in Protour races, but who is better, the consistent rider like Evans or the rider who has 20 wins including a couple of classics a la Boonen a couple of years ago?

Personally, I like a one day race for the world championship. It's nearly always exciting, and rarely has a winner considered 'unworthy'.
I don't disagree, but I named the ProTour because it's the current incarnation of the World Cup, Super Prestige Pernod, Desgrange Challenge (how's that for some history?)

If you think the World Champion should be an overall consistent all-rounder, then ProTour or similar is the way to select one.

If you think the World Champion should be someone who knows how to cross the line in first place... the WC is much better. I think they might find a better format though than the national teams thing.

Stage races are entirely too defensive for my taste.