View Single Post
Old 04-12-09, 04:12 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdrianL
I'm looking for some guidance and help on selecting a road riding shoe please.

I am in my mid 60's, 216 lbs and falling - My wife and I started riding again a few months ago after being off of a bike for a lot of years. We are working up on the miles at a reasonable pace. We ride about 18 to 30 miles every day the weather allows with a goal of riding a century sometime later this summer.

Many years ago I used clips on my pedals and would not have been without them. The Look pedal was just out and I got a pair - loved them - promptly fell on my butt - yes - in traffic - in down town San Diego. - That had to have been in the mid 80's - Do I need to say "embarrassed" - That's about when I let work get in the way of life and stopped riding.

When we started riding again recently, I bought us each a pair of Forte MTB shoes with Speed Play Frog pedals because I wanted to be able to walk around somewhat easier than in a regular road shoe with cleats. That has worked out really well but recently I have noticed that after about 15 to 20 miles, one or both of my feet have started tingling and getting very uncomfortable. I'm thinking I need to go to a road shoe with a much stiffer sole. As it turns out I really don't walk around that much - only at stops and then only for a few minutes although some of the time I am not on a hard surface. I may be walking on grass or on hard dirt.

Here's my problem - I will have to order the shoes from some mail order place online. The LBS does not carry a very big selection of shoes (I no longer live in a big city) so trying the shoe on before buying is not an option. I wear an 11 D in US size. I keep seeing all these Italian, French, and Japanese brand names on road shoes. Typically in regular shoes the Italian, French and Japanese shoes all have a very a narrow toe box. They are just not made for the some of the larger feet seen here in the US and especially by those of us with a few more miles on us.

What is a reasonably good road shoe - specific or brand - that is made to accommodate the good old American fat foot?

Thanks a lot for the advice.
I don’t know what you want to spend but Shimano makes a shoe that will fit you. They are molded to your feet. They cost a bit, something like 200 bucks but they will fit period. They warm up the insole and have you step one it till it fits your foot. Then after it cools they put it in the shoe and somehow warm the shoe while it is on your foot. When they are done the shoe is your shoe and no one else would ever be as comfortable as you in that shoe. But like I said, you have got to want to spend the bucks. I use Specialized sport MTB shoes and Time Atac pedals and cleats. But I am easy to fit.
Still shoes are like saddles, everyone has their favorite.

Last edited by Robert Foster; 04-12-09 at 07:42 PM.