Old 04-13-09, 02:28 AM
valencia

Bikes: 2013 Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Here's the plastic Ofmega Sintesi pedals on my commuter bike, where they've been used for over 25 years without failure:

I think modern plastic pedals such as the one that failed for the O.P. are not intended to last much longer than the test ride. The shop is supposed to encourage the customer to buy a sturdier pedal, often one of the clipless varieties. There's no way to predict which of the several mutually incompatible clipless systems a customer may already have shoes/cleats for, so a disposable plastic pedal allows this decision to be made at the retail level.
My Glock is half plastic with a few thousand rounds through it. Look at this pic - the weight would be directly above the spindle. On mine, the weight is on the front and back metal portion, and bridged to the spindle with plastic. Not good. Well, I really just wanted this thread to help anyone with a new bike understand you need to get good pedals. Just days earlier, on a different thread, I discussed this and settled on a decent pair of BMX style pedals. They should survive my weight or a crash.