View Single Post
Old 04-13-09, 09:24 AM
terbennett

Bikes: Felt F1,Felt FA, Fuji Club LE and Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6'3 and my weight is around 210 right now. I feel overweight. Most of that comes from the fact that my body is used to being underweight. Until my wife and I had our first kid I was between 155-160 lbs. Yeah, I know I was skinny, but 210 feels heavy. Mr. Beanz has seen me and even he says I don't look overweight. However, i do feel it. Also, cycling IS geared toward the super lightweight rider. 200 lbs, might be a decent weight for you but a wheelset doesn't base it's durability on how the weight sits on you. I'm a roadie and I have had to upgrade my wheelset just like most Clydes. Heck, I've even had to swap out my seatpost from carbon to aluminum. Carbon cranks are the worst for me. You have to understand that eventhough you are 200 lbs. and can ride like the lightweights, you dish out more power and add more stress to components while doing so because of your additional weight. So to answer your question: Yes. 200 lbs is overweight- for the cycling community. Understand that technology is geared toward professional racers- which the majority aren't even over 170 lbs. When new lightweight stuff comes out, it's to work for those racers. Then it's marketed to us with the idea that we will be like them.