View Single Post
Old 04-14-09, 09:13 AM
annc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zan
we are talking about ethnicity and race. "people" isn't specific 'nough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(classification_of_human_beings)

Check it out under the 20th century division. The term "Negroid" is there along with "Caucasoid," "Capoid," "Mongoloid," "Australoid."

I don't mean any disrespect and I'm not for racism. I did capitalize the word (and usually I write totally in lower case). I do give respect. Why are you all getting your knickers in a knot over this?

Fitting people into the white/black/yellow/red/brown categories is the same thing. I refrain from using those terms as some are insulted by it because it's considered slang in some circles. The only time I've heard the Caucasian, Asian, and Negroid terms used is when someone is having a serious talk about it - no racism bs. I thought I'd adopt the more technical ettiquette to try and avoid the attacks by the people who get squeamish at the sight of a word.
And two paragraphs down in the section you cited has this:

Coon and his work drew some charges of obsolete thinking or outright racism from a few critics, but some of the terminology he employed continues to be used even today, although the "-oid" suffixes now have in part taken on negative connotations.

Categorizing people by race is a tricky business; it’s difficult to find terms are neutral and useful. Does Asian in your example all people from the continent of Asia including India, Sri Lanka, the Middle East, and most of Russia? Why or why not?