View Single Post
Old 04-15-09, 11:45 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
Ironic that you use the 15 yr number on top of the 52. My dad is 67 and shows no signs of slowing down. In fact, he spent the winter in Fla "dropping roadies", quite literally. He averages 19.2 mph (I know this because he emails me his numbers every day), and makes a sport out of sneaking up on pace lines and then blowing by them.

In the spring he will return to Northern Illinois and spend the summer riding the Wisconsin trail system. He trains for crazy stuff like riding across the country (did that twice, both times after age 60). His new goal is to ride up the entire length of the Mississippi.

So, you may be able to up your 15 year estimate. Personally, I am looking at and hoping to go strong until at least age 75. I find that commuting is one of the best ways to ensure that this becomes a reality. Of course, regardless our efforts, we still need some good fortune. It does take more than hard work to stay well, but it is indeed reasonable to plan for a long and healthy life.

I'm giving myself 15 years to do as much as possible and build a strong health & fitness base. Anything on top of that is gravy. My father was in good health and his passing was a total suprise. His biggest preventable health risk was that he had become 50lbs overweight & sedentary.

I'll avoid that issue, but you never know when your number is up! Live for today is my motto.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.