MMPC
Big Man Riding...

Bikes: '07 Fuji Roubaix RC, '04 Kona Hoss, '95 Cannondale RT2000 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trekkie820
My girlfriend bought a bike at the beginning of last summer. I can count one one hand how many miles it has on it now. At least I didn't buy it for her.
That's my fear. There's probably no reason for having it already, but... Fortunately she's getting a great deal on the bike she's buying. That says something to me right there - it's her investment and her responsibility to use it. Meanwhile I'm buying her some acccessories (pedals, helmet, water bottle, etc.), but that's a small investment.

As for all of the great advice I'm getting here - it's greatly appreciated! I've had a few things confirmed and been given more to think about. Our first ride actually wasn't bad at all and she was surprised at how quickly we covered 10 miles. She was really feeling it at the end, however. Anyway, my plan right now is to let her set the pace - I discovered how important that was last weekend when I had to keep slowing down to wait for her and she commented on it. It seems much better to be behind and either increase my cadence or coast a lot more where she can't see and I can shout encouragement/compliments.

As for someone alluding to it being frustrating treating significant others like "fragile eggs," I suppose it's true to some extent, but I learned early on that if you really want a relationship to succeed, it takes effort. Until she improves (or even if she doesn't), I'm really not opposed to the slower rides. She's still sharing one of my passions, we're both getting good exercise in the fresh air and enjoying each others' company...

LordOpie - you can fold fitted sheets??? I want a demonstration...

Snowy - I look forward to meeting you in person then. Opie and his friends are great fun to ride with (if you haven't been before)...