genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
Hwy 1 in Baja at night is interesting. Decided to get a 3 AM start from East Cape, hadn't gone 2 miles when an owl met my windshield. It flew off, apparently unharmed.

One time near Guerrero Negro I thought, Wow that looks like a BIG moth. I was pretty sure it might be in my grill, so I stopped. Flattened up against my radiator was a PINK bat, staring me down. I got a stick (rabies precaution), and convinced it to let go of the radiator. It went to the ground, then flapped off into the night.

And yes, it is true, cows occasionally bed down in the middle of the road. So you have to go slow there at night in spots without long sight lines. There's usually enough room to pass them gingerly. Otherwise blast the horn until they move.

I don't think I'd try riding here. Anyone here done so?
Oh man, I have toured the length of hiway 1 in Baja with perhaps my most wonderful experiences being the high ridge just before Santa Rosallia down onto the Sea of Cortez side. Beautiful views finally descending into a really unique town right at the Sea. I did this back in the late '80s, but knowing Baja, this has not changed much.

Cabo San Lucas has grown terribly... but La Paz and Todos Santos have not changed much over the years. I'd go any area south of Ensenada on bike without issue.