Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cyclist hit-and-run; look out for a BMW 7 series with broken right side mirror

Reposting from the Alto Velo mailing list via the FFBC mailing list:
I've met Ashleigh and she's a real hoot. This hits close to home.

Dave Nelson here
Ashleigh is Serious and Stable condition right now. Her head had rapid acceleration and deceleration of the brain. She has some slight bleeding on the brain. She is at Valley Med Trauma ICU. This happened because a late model silver 7 series hit here from behind right past Fruitvale ave in the bike lane at 5:30 pm. I was in front of her and the mirror that was dangling from the car hit me also in the bike lane. The car proceeded to pull to the right and then take off. It was a heart sinking tenious situation for a while. I really thought I was going to lose her there. The Police, Fire and her Docs at Valley Med have done a wonderous job. She is alive and she is a fighter!
Keep her in your prayers and you have any question or anything. You can call me 408-891-5709. She is on the 2nd floor ICU at Valley Med.

I am in desperate search of a late model silver 7 series with a broken right side mirror around Los Gatos and Saratoga. I have no license plate I was the only witness at this point. I was just trying to keep her alive.

Thanks,
Dave Nelson

Mercury News

Bay Area competitive cyclist injured in hit-and-run
By Lisa Krieger
Posted: 04/19/2009 11:12:18 PM PDT
Updated: 04/19/2009 11:34:06 PM PDT

Competitive cyclist Ashley Jackson, 24, of San Jose, remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition with head injuries after an alleged hit-and-run accident Sunday afternoon in Saratoga, according to authorities.

Jackson's boyfriend David Nelson, 41, said the couple was cycling along Highway 9 near Fruitvale Avenue around 5:30 p.m. when Nelson said he was hit on his left side by a right side view mirror of a passing silver BMW four-door sedan. Nelson said he saw the car slow down briefly, but then continue on. Nelson said when he turned to check on Jackson, he saw her lying on the ground. As he attempted to help her breathe, he said, several motorists stopped and called 911.

The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department confirmed Deputy Shane Bryant arrived on scene.

Jackson, a Category 4-grade competitor who rides with Alto Velo/Webcor, remains in the intensive care unit at Valley Medical Center in San Jose, a hospital spokeswoman said.