View Single Post
Old 04-20-09, 12:27 PM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
3d generation Mexican American here. I wear bibs and a jersey on my road bike to my office. I guess that's acculturation for you.
Yes, for sure. The Hispanic commuters I know are all first generation immigrants. When they wear bibs, it is usually bib overalls.

Of course, the only way I know for sure is because I know these guys from work. If I saw a Hispanic on a bicycle just zooming by, I probably wouldn't know if he/she was hispanic or native or white, or Asian eastern. Hispanics have a pretty universal appearance.

I think to some degree, some Hispanic immigrants bring their bicycle culture with them too. Sometimes in California, for example, I have seen home-made welded rigs used for hauling stuff that clearly looks like designs I have seen in Mexico. It just seems for a lot of these riders that the bike is just a common sense way to get to work. Nothing more, nothing less.

It is hard to engage these guys into a long discussion about bicycle commuting like you can with a lot of the spandex commuters. For these guys, bicycles are just a way to get around. Better than walking. Cheaper than a car. They appreciate it when I give them a new saddle or peddals or something, but they aren't interested in talking about the difference between saddles or parts or whatever.

I like their attitude really. Nothing to prove. No statement to make. Bicycles are practical, so they ride them.