Old 04-22-09, 08:02 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I thought individual countries also have specific country of origin laws. Typically, the country of origin is where greater than 50% of the total cost was spent to manufacture the item. This is somewhat sketchy because labor rates in Chian, India and other southeast Asian countries can be up to 100 times less than western countries. So if a (dare I say it) carbon bike in molded in China and painted and Italy, it could very well be "made in Italy". I don't know if they amoritize the mold costs into the part cost though.

Do you know Italy's country of origin laws?
I don't - and this is a great point. I think Italy is trying to address this issue through "DOC" -type regulation and country of origin laws - heretofore, Italy has apparently been lax in this respect. On the other hand, as we all know, it can be difficult for countries to enforce criteria that are stricter than EU regs (i.e. restraint of trade issues are raised).