View Single Post
Old 04-25-09, 02:08 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadpudding
Yeah I should have been more specific sorry. I meant gear for the bike itself. Like seats and other components.
I wouldn't worry too much about components. Unless you're a 215lb power-lifter, you're probably unlikely to break anything. I started riding again when I hit 210lbs and didn't have any problems.

Saddles are a very... personal... component. You and I could be the exact same size and you might hate a saddle that I love. That's one of the things you might have to figure out for yourself, though I'm sure you can get suggestions here that will help you narrow down your search.

I once tried an expensive Specialized Toupe Gel saddle. Everybody raves about how great they are, they come in three different widths, and Specialized shops have an Ass-o-meter measuring device to tell you which width to buy. I absolutely hated it! It was hard as a rock and gave me saddle sores after only 20 miles. Worst saddle I've ever used... Needless to say, I returned it for a refund. Ended up with a Selle SMP Strike Extra saddle on my road bike. It's about 1/3rd the price of every other saddle they make and quite heavy (400g), but with a decent pair of cycling shorts I can ride it all day long.

Funny thing: I recently bought a Specialized mountain bike that came with their Phenom saddle. It looks every bit as uncomfortable as the Toupe Gel and, according to the Ass-o-meter, was too narrow for my butt. Guess what? I'm loving it so far!