Old 04-25-09, 09:21 PM
EmmCeeBee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm impressed! You've come up with one of the best finds, and nicest low-cost conversions I've seen here. I don't know anything about the Trek 900 except what I see in the photo, but what I see says it's ideally suited for your purpose.

Even between the two photos above (the rise-bar version and the drop-bar version), you've obviously put a lot of work into it. Brakes, stem, shifters.... it's a nice job, and I bet by the end of it you'll know your bike inside out.

I'll just chip in with a few things I'd change.... when the $$ comes available. This is personal preference, but from a lot of time on the road. Of course, a lot depends on how you intend to use it -- for two-day tours around Illinois, you wouldn't need all of this.

-- Slicks for tires. Or at least narrow, non-knobby. It'll make a huge difference on pavement.

-- "Traditional" strutted fenders instead of the clip-ons. Anything that doesn't bolt on solid will find a way to work lose or drop into the wheels on a long tour. Besides.... you've got all the braze-ons, I'd use 'em!

-- Find a way to add one or two water bottle cages.

-- I assume you're gonna swap the pedals from your Paramount? If not, at least get pedals/straps...... it'd be a nightmare to have a foot slip loose on a bumpy downhill.

-- Kickstand = good, in my book. But the bottom-bracket mounted kind are frustrating. I've found that they allow a loaded bike to pivot. Worse, when you want to check your drivetrain off the bike, it blocks the pedals.

-- Can't really see the cassette (freewheel?) but it looks like a 28T or lower. If you expect hills or headwinds, I'd swap in lower gears (and/or a small granny). It looks like the derailleur is a long cage, so it should handle it.

-- Might as well get a front rack (knock-offs are under $20).... you've got all the braze-ons! Yep, your current panniers aren't touring models, but if they're big enough and don't give you problems, go ahead and use 'em on tour. And save up for the name brands.

No way is this meant to be critical -- you've got a stellar example of a mtb conversion, something that goes as gospel around here. And low cost, at that.

I have a Nishiki from the same timeframe (1988) and it's very similar, both in the frame and in the original components on your 900. My Nishiki is an excellent touring bike and I've used it for thousands of miles of loaded touring -- that's the way they made 'em back then.

-- Mark