View Single Post
Old 07-02-02, 12:38 AM
IslandRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The other thing I've found out about speedplays is that they list the weight of their pedals whereas other companies list the combined weght of pedals and cleats. What you're spinning is the pedal, the cleat, the shoe, the crank, the whole deal. So if you want to compare apples to apples you have to consider the weight of the pedal and cleat combined.

The speedplay cleats are heavy compared to other cleats. Combined pedal/cleat weight of the speed play roads is 322 grams; of the frogs is 298 grams. The frogs are actually lighter than the road pedal/cleat, and more user friendly in that they don't mind a little dirt. I hear the speedplay roads can't handle any dirt at all.

Performance (yeah, I know, a store brand...) has some SPD pedals that weigh 200 grams for $90. They have a Ti spindle so I would wonder about durability. They also have an SPD pedal with a cro-moly spindle for $60. I'm tempted to give one of these a try.

It kind of pisses me off to hear of speedplay's deliberate deception in pedal/cleat weight. They make a big deal of being the lightest pedal out there, but when the truth is known, they're one of the heaviest. What a bunch of crap! Marketing hype (lies) is the way of American capitalism, but it sucks rocks.