tubescreamerx
climbing

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Ridley Crosswind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TruckerMike
Last thought - not sure why guys spend big bucks on carbon clinchers. If weight is the priority, the tubulars win. If weight isn't the main priority (ie you're not racing), but convenience is key - just go aluminum clincher and call it good.
Carbon clinchers (w/o aluminum brake surface) provide the best of both worlds. You get a deeper, more aero rim, save weight over an equivalent-depth aluminum clincher (but I think 41mm might be the cut-off for mainstream aluminum wheels anyway), and have the convenience of an ordinary clincher rim. For example, the Soul 5.0 non-tubular is only 1465g. That's lighter than my Race X Lite at 1535g. When I get the money, I'll be buying a wheel like the Soul, if not that specific model, because it's lighter (for racing) and I can still use it for occasional solo training rides or whatever without changing my habits... there are excellent clincher tires out there (e.g. Vittoria's high TPI offerings) and carrying a spare tube + patch kit really isn't a big deal...

Really, it all comes down to preference. My opinion is that I already spend enough time taking care of the bike, so gluing is just another hassle for me. I'm also not convinced I'll see a real-world performance difference from going tubular. Weight savings are obviously a plus though--just not significant enough for me.