View Single Post
Old 02-01-05, 05:54 PM
izgod

Bikes: BikeE AT--Gary Fisher DF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As near as I can tell, the bike flipped, rather than just fell over. It went down in such a way, and with such force, that my right thigh was slammed against the pavement. I was going downhill about 15 or 16 mph when I hit a patch of wet leaves. I usually do 27 to 30mph on this particular hill. The oddest thing to me, was that there was no road rash at all, just the busted bone. I didn't even know I broke anything. I thought I would catch my breath and get up. Of course I couldn't get up, and then noticed my right foot turned the wrong way round. I used my cell phone to call 911. I was on a bike trail in a remote area early on a Sunday morning. The only damage to the BikeE was a small tear on the side of the seat.

I've always used the "You don't have far to fall" line when doing the recumbent talking points to interested folks. Now they see me limping when I'm off the bike and ask if I use the recumbent because of my limp. "No, the limp is because of the recumbent." I'm still pretty nervous about going fast down hill, even on clear dry days.