View Single Post
Old 04-28-09, 10:58 AM
daven1986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe then drivers need to be educated better? This whole riding style is based around the fact that drivers don't know what is going on around them and are likely to plough their multi ton vehicle into a cyclist, which is not an unfair generalisation. Drivers in general are occupied with stereos, phones, conversations etc. things which most cyclists don't do while riding - it is why I love riding to uni / work, when I am riding nothing is in my head except riding, and what is going on - you cannot think about something else or you will lose concentration, for us that means injury, for a car driver it doesn't mean much - someone else's injury possibly.

If there were so many cyclists around that a serious danger was posed by cycling this way, then I wouldn't advocate it, back when there were only a few cars I doubt they had the large numbers of traffic lights they do now, they would have relied on what they could see. Same with cyclists. The only thing I see quite dangerous about this is if drivers do not expect such manoeuvres and slam on the brakes or swerve while Joey is filtering perpendicular to them, this could cause an accident. But again enough looking will enable people to filter without making traffic slow.