Bruco
Wind Breaker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
That wasn't entirely Levi's fault.
Okay, Rabobank wasn't exactly modelled after the 'all for one principle'. In fact, they are having a hard time deciding on a coherent overall strategy. Part of them is aimed at one-day classics, part of them at single stage buccaneering, part of them at taking a podium spot.

... the way they let Michael Rathmussen attack in the mountains. Rather than keep him back to support Levi they turned him loose.
I remember that stage. But you might just as well ask whether there was anything left 'to support'. Ordering Rasmussen to attack (inasfar he was instructed to do so at all) might just as well have served a tactical purpose: wear the other leaders out while saving your designated rider. If Leipheimer would have had the legs on that particular day, probably an entirely different scenario would have been chosen.

In my mind it's not just Lance that wins the TdF it's the fact that his team does absolutely nothing else but ride for him. There is no other team in professional cycling that does that. No other team is willing to risk their entire tour on one rider in an "all or nothing" assault on the race.
I don't think that US Postal is entirely unique in that respect. Okay, they obviously have been the best at implementing this strategy (having a team leader who is actually able to 'deliver' helps a lot). Just as the Merckx squadra in the good old days. And I would say that Telekom also pretty much used to play the 'GC card'. True, they bring a pure sprinter (unlike USPS) for the occasional stage win, but they easily sacrifice his lead-out men for more Ullrich domestiques.