View Single Post
Old 05-01-09, 01:38 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sharkey00
This is just silliness. How are 23s too rough for "commuting roads" but fine for general road riding? Sure 25s can make things more comfortable but the idea that you cannot commute on 23s is silly.

As for the mechanics points:
1: I agree with the pinch flat thing. You won't get them with good tire pressure. I regularly ride 30 psi under recommended without issue (on 23s by the way). Second, I don't believe you will get more flats. You have more rubber on the road but less pressure at each point.

2: Cornering is insignificant.

3: I have changed my mind a few times on racks. The option to put them on is not a bad thing.
I used to commute on a road bike using 700x23s. I think they are fine on decent roads where you are familiar with the road. I think the main advantage of the wider tires is at night when you run over something you didn't see or when you end up being forced to ride through something you didn't want to ride through. You're less likely to flat in those situations with the wider tire.

I used a rack and the spring loaded pannier bags. I don't believe in carrying weight twice. Why do I need an extra 20 lbs of pressure on my butt?