View Single Post
Old 05-02-09, 02:34 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cool thread! Add me to the list of framebuilder wannabes practicing on racks. I`ve built several racks and a few stems already- I`ll post some pics when I get home. Tuz, I think your rack looks allright too. Did you ever clean it up?

I`ve done all mine at work so far. I have OA torch, tanks, and regs at home, but still need a vise, bender, and small welding tip (I only have a cutting body) in order to start working there. At work, we have two similar type benders, dedpending on the tubing size. Some sizes are an older version of the Imperial-Eastman one in Peter Pan`s Aircraft Spruce link, other sizes are a very similar Rigid (looks nothing like the HF ones). They both work great and they`re both out of my price range- I`ve looked at some of the ones you guys mentioned here, others are new to me. That Imperial triple size one and the big single size HF ones are pretty tempting.

I did my first rack with solid aluminum, all the later ones were with 8mm and 10 mm hydraulic line that was surplus from an equipment installation here a few years ago. They both have 1mm wall thickness. I`d like to try with .035 4130 one o fthese days. Can somebody who`s used both hydraulic tubing and 4130 comment on how the cromo bends in comparison to the hydraulic line? I imagine it`ll take more force, but I don`t know there`s anything else different. I`d hate to pay that kind of money and destroy the stock.