View Single Post
Old 05-02-09, 08:36 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tuz- yeah, it`s a quill type for a threaded fork. I don`t use much in the line of jigs, but to be honest I make the hard part (the clamping part) in a machine shop, first a lathe, then to a Bridgeport, braze, then back to the lathe for the final ID and part it off. The wedge and the angle on the bottom of the upright tube are also cut on the mill. If I didn`t have access to the cool toys, I don`t know how I`d do the stems- I probably wouldn`t mess with them. The racks are more hand work- very similar to the way you did yours, I`m sure. And I don`t think there`s a way to get around the initial mess from the flux. It always looks like hell until you get it cleaned up. How did you mount your rack to keep it from pivoting? Another arm from the middle down to the brake/fender mount hole?

Thanks, PeterPan. I love the look of brushed stainless and considered using it for a while while I was still TIGging, but since I went to brazing I gave up on that idea. I know it can be silver brazed, but my silver work leaves a lot to be desired and practicing is so expensive I think I`ll just stick with bronze wherever possible. Good to hear 4130 behaves well- I`ve just about used up my suply of hydraulic tubing and I think cromo is the route I want to go now. BTW, the hydraulic line I use isn`t galvanized but it has some kind of additive (lead?) for ductility that makes it a booger to weld. Still brazed fine.
OT: PeterPan, I run into your posts from time to time in different subforums and it sounds like you do a lot of different handywork. Have you ever built yourself any frames? Just wondering.