Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tractortom
Jim,

The trail is actually paved in two long sections. Coming from Orlando, the best place to catch it is right on the south end of Okeechobee where US441 hits the lake. Just to the right of the intersection 100 feet, is an access road over the berm and a large parking lot. This is Jaycees Park, but known locally as Lock 7.

Head east on the trail, and you go about two miles to Taylor Creek, where you have to get off, go to the highway and across the lift bridge over the creek. Then take the first right, onto the sand road and back up onto the trail. From there it is twenty two miles to the end of the path at the Port Mayaca Lock park.

The important thing to remember is there is NO WATER available anywhere along the trail from Taylor Creek to Port Mayaca, you have to bring your own, or go down to the highway and find someplace to beg some water. On my trip on Sunday I took two 24 oz bottles and a 70 oz Camelback and came back with about a cup full of water...

If you are headed this way on a weekend, drop me a line (Tractortom01@gmail.com) and I'll be happy to give you a tour.
Tom thanks for the reply and information. I don't just when we will make the trip down that way but I sure will take you up on the tour offer. My daughter and I are working toward riding every trail in FL this yr. and then spread out from there. I am retired but my daughter has to work so we plan our travel around her job.