Old 05-04-09, 10:00 PM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Would love to hear your reviews. The Grasshopper Fx will almost certainly fit a taller rider. Germans are averaging 6 feet tall these days! (Seriously.)

Kurt--There is a lower cost folding option. The Cobra is a bike made by TW-Bents. It's got ugly stickers and looks cheap, but the MFR has a very good reputation. You are not going to get German quality, but something close. There is a review of it on Bentrideronline.

Other options include: 1) the beautiful and inexpensive Performer Low Racer by Performer.tw. That one has a frame coupler, so it takes a long time to get apart. And it's no good for multi-modal transit. 2) The CMPCT by M5. Not pretty, not fast, but high quality. 3) Any bike with a frame hinge and shocks. These bikes can be folded by detaching the front wheel and the shock absorber. That will cram it into a closet, etc.

I've been looking into a folding recumbent. I wanted something a bit lighter but very durable b/c I put in a lot of miles. I ended up deciding to just live with my beautiful titanium monster and ride a folding bike on errands or overseas tours.

Finally, if any of you New Yorkers want to go for a long ride this weekend, let me know.