Old 05-07-09, 02:54 PM
Downhillwuss

Bikes: Scott road bike, MTB, and Space Genie Folder + several others in bits

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Space Genie

I bought a mk1 version of this off ebay last year, intending to commute to and from the station on my journey to and from work. then I decided it was just easier to ride the whole way on a road bike, so it sat in the garage for nearly 8 months.
Looking at the picture, mine has a much lower bb and no fancy suspension at the rear. I think it also has 14in wheels rather than 16in you suggest. I suppose that is just because it is mk1?

Now I have signed up to ride from London to Paris with the British Heart Foundation Folding Bike Challenge. It sounded a bit of a laugh.. until I remembered the failings of the Space Genie. So, now I am in the process of upgrading, and seeing your post raised a few questions.

I'm 6 ft 2in and need a lonnnng seatpost. There are suggestions that a Brompton telescopic would fit. Is this right, do you think?

I find the gears incredibly small such that I am spinning out on the slightest descent. (And as you can tell from my moniker, I'm no hero when the road goes down!) So, I think I will have to change the chainring.

(What is this 'dual drive' stuff'? Would I have to buy a new rear wheel? The current set up has a five speed block and single chainsets. I guess it would be easy enough to add a front mech? Or would it foul up the folding mechanism?)

Finally, I find the handlebar set up a bit 'soft'. There seems to be a fair bit of play in there that is not due to anything loose. Is there anything I can do to upgrade it? Perhaps straighten out the bars from their current 'U' shape?

All in all, it feels like 'great frame, but the rest needs some work'.