Thread: Hells' Angels?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-09, 09:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
Hells' Angels?

After having a confrontation with a cager the other day, as well as looking back at other aspects of road commuting, I think we share some things with motorcyclists. I also think I know why some "bikers" get tattoos and are overtly masculine. They have no cage but still need to protect themselves using fabric and paint like native american braves going into battle painting themselves to scare their enemys.

No matter who you are, even women and non-overtly masculine men need to be tough to road commute. Our bodies and skin are exposed to the elements and we must endure sharing the roadway and using our bodies to protect our share of "turf". We need gloves, shoes, head and body protection. And we spit.

Sometimes when I get home I feel I am tougher for it. Downright burly even. I have also found that I can get gnarly and my friends and family should not piss me off because it can result in latent road rage spillage. No I did not kick my cat the other day, but I may have been less feline in nature.

So ... going with this train of thought - if we dressed tougher would we get more respect? Should I strap a billy club to my chest? Wear fake tattoos? Leather jacket? Take the lane more and cower less?

Does walking with attitude really help protect a pedestrian from being mugged? Will riding with attitude help protect a biker (us) from being dismissed like so much road debris?

Yeesh that turned into a rant ...