View Single Post
Old 02-04-05, 07:42 PM
jnoble123

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Trek 520, Giant VT1, Norco Scrambler, Norco Unicycle, Dirtsurfer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi.

I read somewhere that the initial price of a computer is something like only 15% of it's final cost when you factor in support etc.

I tend to think of bikes in a similar way. Sure you bought the bike and you feel that you paid less then you would elsewhere. This is good if:

a) You ended up purchasing good quality equipment that really is designed to do the stuff you want to do.
b) The equipment comes with great advice and support on how to make the bike even more reliable when touring.
c) The equipment fits you properly so that at the end of a 100 mile plus day in the saddle you still feel good.
d) The shop actually understands what bicycle touring is all about.

I do support two local bike shops in my town because they do good work and treat me fairly. Neither one of those shops have anywhere close to the knowledge about wheels that Peter White does. Neither one has knowledge about the wide range of parts including the exotic bits and pieces as does Sheldon Brown.

Nowadays I do not hesitate to send my money towards some of the shops that actually participate in online forums, newsgroups and mailing list with their goal being to discuss touring etc and not just hook a few more sales. In fact I created a page on the bicycle touring 101 website that mentions some of these shops by name. The page is called "Vendors who support touring through Online participation" and it's at:

http://bicycletouring101.com/LinksOnlineVendors.htm

You'll find links on the page to these shops including a description of where they participate online and how.

BTW: I too am canadian and like you I also purchased a Brooks saddle. I purchased mine from Wallbike in the US so yes the saddle likely cost me more money upfront. The advantage through is that I purchased from a company with great customer service, a fantastic reputation and of course a six month money back guarantee if the saddle didn't work out for me. The extra money was worth all of that to me.

~Jamie N
www.bicycletouring101.com