Old 05-11-09, 09:12 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I have been watching this listing on Ebay since last week. It expires in 3 hours, so here's the text:

Belt Fujita Saddle Mfg Co Ltd, Tokyo, black leather

"Belt" black leather bicycle saddle made by Fujita Saddle Mfg Co Ltd, Tokyo. This looks to be very similar in shape and style to the Brooks B17. Saddle is in good condition with some wear marks on both the front and the rear which you should be able to see in the pictures. The metal rails are clean and without rust and the screw does not appear to have been tightened.

The photos show it to be in pretty much perfect condition, probably never ridden. I was going to bid $65 for it, but it's up to $66 now. I was looking for a bargain, which it isn't going to be. Even so, however, I'm guessing I'm not the only one who thinks a 1980's Belt is at least as good, if not better, than a new Brooks.

Is this because Belt is so good, or do people think the new Brooks saddles aren't as good as older ones?

The two 1980's saddles I have --a Brooks Pro and a Fujita Pro-- have both held up much better than two new Brooks saddles --a B-17 and a Flyer I've bought in the last two years.
I've never owned a new Brooks saddle so I can't say that the Belts are better. I think the interest in the Belt saddles coincides with the renewed interest and acceptance of the Japanese bikes from the '70's. The Belts are now selling on EBay for more than the Fujita Pros were just a few years ago.

Scott