View Single Post
Old 05-12-09, 12:38 PM
fmattheus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pibach
fmattheus, Dahon Mu has 103cm wheelbase which is quite long.
Not so long for a touring bike, though.

Two examples Trek 520 have a wheel base ranging from 104.1 - 107.4
and Surly Long Haul Trucker have a wheel base ranging from 103.6 - 108.5

The Bike Friday, NWT, however has a range of 96 - 106 for their size small to large bikes, and since they also make custom, can go up from there.

You can easily put an ahead stem on the telescoping part of Dahon handlepost (with an 1-1/8" to 1" reducer).
Excellent, thanks for that.

Generally, to mount a dual chainring you'll need to find a front dereilleur to fit the bigger seatpost diameter.
I'm guessing that's not such a standard part. Something, I like to try to avoid in my touring bike.

Regarding heel strike you have two options. Either use the low rack and pack things on top. Or use a higher touring rack (slightly bigger package when folded) with standard geometry. There are also front racks for side panniers available.
All of the racks mentioned on http://www.gaerlan.com/dahon/rack.htm are still only for smaller panniers. Are there any racks that will fit a Dahon, which can hold standard rear panniers? Whether the rack fits on the front or the back is irrelevant to me, I tend to carry rear Ortlieb panniers on the front of my NWT.