Old 05-12-09, 03:58 PM
r0br0
robo-friend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice on first singlespeed build

So I've been using the same Specialized mtb to get around for the past 7 or 8 years. It's heavy, creaky, ugly, too small and I'm ready for a change. Went down to my LBS the other day and tested out a road bike for the first time; it was a Trek 1.2. What a dream riding that was compared to what I was used to!

Since I'm all about diy, I want to build a bike from the ground up and I want to go singlespeed as I live in a pretty flat area and it will be cheaper and simpler for a first-timer. This bike will be my primary form of transportation and will also be used for exercise. It won't be the most "pure" ss as I want to go freewheel with f/r brakes for practicality, safety and I don't think I could handle not being able to coast. I'm an artist and want something aesthetically pleasing too, both form and color-wise, but I'm also pretty poor so this absotively posolutely has to come in under a grand.

The color scheme I'm imagining is a pretty simple white, black and red. White frameset with black seatpost, headset, stem, handlebars, brake levers, calipers, crankset, pedals and red saddle, bar tape, chain and rims.

The frameset I'm pretty set on is a 53cm Kilo TT from bikeisland. I have no idea when they'll have that size in white in stock again though. If there are any others around $200 I can get in white, I'm open to suggestions.

The seatpost I'm clueless about but I think the Kilo needs a 26.8mm dia. Headsets also baffle me so I'll need help there too but it should be 1" threadless. I need stem advice as well but it will need to be able to work with the Profile Air Wing bullhorns I'm looking at with a dia of 26.0mm. Brake levers will probably be the Cane Creek 200TT and calipers the Tektro R530. The black Origin-8 crankset w/ chainring seems fine but I haven't looked around a whole lot. No clue on pedals but toe clips would be nice as I will be wearing normal shoes when riding.

The only all red saddle I've seen is the Velo sold on eighthinch but if there are others, I'd like to see them. Red Cinelli cork tape looks good. There's red chains on eighthinch as well. Also on eighthinch are Velocity and Weinmann Deep-Vs in red but why are the Velocity's almost $100 more expensive?

Decent and somewhat treaded tires will be needed too. I think I heard the Kilo TT frame fits up to 28c. I'll also need a freewheel and bottom bracket.

Anyway, if you guys could help me put together a complete inventory list, I'd be super grateful! I'm very much a noob to all this but I learn quick.