View Single Post
Old 02-06-05, 04:36 AM
Old Gammy Leg
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly what kind of halogen light are you comparing the led light too? What power bulb? what batteries?
Cateye 2 C-cell halogen light.... so not particularly powerful. But I'm reluctant to mount any heavy lights (even that one) on my super-light race bike - that's why I'd like to stay with LED lights. But, obviously, safety is my primary concern. I think part of the reason I feel more vulnerable / less visible is the much greater speeds I'm acieving.

will your headlight call attention to you in a sea of other lights?
Yes, this is what I'm most concerned about. Most of my riding is done under streetlights so I don't need a light to help me see - just be seen.

I have found that it is easy to miss an approaching cyclist if they are being followed by bright car headlights.
Agreed, definitely. This is one of the most dangerous situations.

Hmmmm... so some people think LEDs are more visible to drivers, some think halogens. I'm in little doubt that bright, flashing LEDs are the best rear lighting, but still not sure about the front. Like I say, I want it to be as lightweight as possible. Might mount a small light on the front of my helmet too...