View Single Post
Old 05-15-09, 05:16 AM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by imi
I have a Trangia methylated spirits cooker. In europe 1L (one litre) bottles are the standard. My next trip will be over the pond in the USA... Is there a standard size that methylated spirits is sold in (I assume there's no problem finding it "everywhere"... right?)

Next question: Apparently it's not allowed to carry aluminium fuel bottles on flights (even empty and uncapped!), so I guess I'll have to buy a new one in LA... any bottle recommendations? preferably one that fits a bottle cage?

Thanks
I think methylated spirits are called denatured alcohol over here. Buy it hardware stores by the quart or gallon, or buy HEET in an auto parts store. HEET is used to de-ice and dry out automobile and truck fuel systems, it might be easier to find in parts of the US that have a real winter climate (not LA, in other words).

I've been told that methylated spirits/denatured alcohol will corrode aluminum fuel bottles, do you know anything about this?

Who told you that you couldn't bring empty fuel bottles on flights? I've brought empty fuel bottles on quite a few flights, I just cleaned them out very thoroughly before I got on the plane. Check with whatever airline you're traveling with before you leave. In the worst case, you could clean out an old fuel bottle, and if they stopped you at the airport you could just throw it away.