Old 05-17-09, 07:44 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn1234
Yeah, I had the idea a long time ago back when I was over there on a student exchange, and thought of it again when I was daydreaming one day (actually flipping through old pictures of it). I noticed when I was there that there wasn't that much time between towns on the mass transit, and that most of the streets seemed bicycle-friendly enough. Couple that with the atmosphere and the opportunity to see a number of things. There's lots of rather unique history - I saw that well when I was there, along with seeing it in tv shows and movies that were taken in other places in Europe. Then there's well developed mass-transit in case you needed it. Then add the thought of not have to be pressured by a time-table (three weeks definitely seemed not long enough to see and take it all in just where I was), and it seemed a winner to me.

The biggest challenge of doing it would be figuring out what to see and the places where they would be, along with item management (things you might obtain and want to keep, along with your regular items) and picture management (albeit easier with digital, I hit 300+ pictures easily for the 3 weeks I was there, I'd imagine much more if you were to see more).

I've had the thought with North America, too, but I'd imagine it would be a lot more of a challenge to find the interesting things and get places.
Things you bought and wanted to keep would need to be shipped home, probably best to set up with a shipping company and customs broker before hand. Photos, well, you could always get a laptop and international cords, there are massively huge hard drives available now. For film, film and processing chemistries are available throughout, so you can always process your film enroute, then ship the finished negatives home.

North America would be another place for a nice long tour......