Old 05-18-09, 06:14 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Picchio Special
No one has yet mentioned Speedwell Gear Casing, as ridden to TdF victory by Luis Ocana.
Future classics: Bill Holland, Passoni.
To be completely accurate, Ocana only rode the Speedwell on mountain stages, and I believe (but am not sure) that he swapped back to steel for most of the descents. Speedwells had "standard" sized tubes, which meant that, like all such Ti frames, they were light light light, especially by the standards of the mid-1970s, but noodly. They still deserve a place on the list as the first Ti frame embraced by a top pro.

Another shout-out for the Teledyne Titan. Yeah, it cracked because of having to create down-sized places on the tubes for shift levers and front derailleurs and such, but they were the first I can remember who understood that oversizing the tubes was the way to make a Ti frame stiff enough for serious racing-type use. It was the real forerunner of every Merlin, Lightspeed, Serrotta Ti, etc., out there, not to mention showing the way for aluminum frames and latter-day steel ones. The Titan may not have succeeded in its own right, but it was very influential throughout the industry.

BTW, In that 1973 Tour, Merckx didn't ride, and Ocana was head and shoulders above everyone else. I think he would have won on a kiddie tricycle. I don't think he ever rode that well again.