View Single Post
Old 05-19-09, 08:33 PM
dandela

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
16 mile one way commute, need advice

I just started commuting this year on my bike and have a hilly 16 mile one way commute. Currently I am using my Jamis Xenith Comp which is great for getting me there fast but doesn't have any eyelets for racks or fenders. I have been using backpacks but am sick of the pain in the back and neck. I also have a trek 7300 hybrid with rack and fenders but it is a pig of a bike. I am not sure of the weight but it is at least 15lbs heavier than the Jamis and it drops my average speed from 17-18mph on the Jamis to about 13 mph. Part of that difference is from the gearing. I don't have enough time in the day to go that slow unfortunately.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a fast commuter that weighs not much more than 20lbs and has rack and fender eyelets? I prefer drop bars and I don't do any heavy hauling so I don't really need a super strong touring bike. I am 5'10" 190, race mountain bikes and I like long walks on the beach but you don't really need to know that. Price range is flexible but would say my limit is $2000 although I don't want to spend that much if I don't need to. I want at least decent quality components (not less than 105's). My bike is parked in my private office so I don't really worry about parts being stripped or the bike stolen. Local LBS's cover Jamis, Trek, Cannondale, Giant, Fisher, and Specialized.

I have asked around at some of my LBS but the high school kids working there don't really help much and they would have to order just about anything I would want.

I would appreciate any advice.