View Single Post
Old 05-20-09, 12:57 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dandela
Wow, lots of ideas. I need to look at all of these options. I really had my mind set on getting another bike for the stable but maybe I can just and the racks and fenders to my Jamis which would make my wife happy. I would probably go with the axiom rack and the REI fenders. Could I fit both on my bike?

BHOP, that is a sweet Jamis, and I will check it out as well as the Portland. Too bad neither dealer has those bikes on the floor. The surly is a nice bike but no local dealer and I am too strapped for time right now to build up a bike from frame.

Thanks to everyone for your replies, keep the ideas coming.
This may sound like a red-neck resolution to your problem, but I've used a rack/panniers w/cable ties where rack braze-ons are non-existqnt on the seat stays just above the calipers. Get heavy duty cable ties and use some sort of non-paint damaging tape to protect your seat stays from damage and your rack/bags combo will hold up just fine. Use blue loctite on the rack support bolts. Used this set up for years. There are adaptors available for this type of set up,too.

Another alternative depending on how much you have to haul everyday is a seatpost rack w/trunkbag. The trunkbags can be an expandable type w/as much room as one would need.