View Single Post
Old 05-20-09, 10:34 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
What do you haul in your backpack? When my commutes were 20-35 miles each way, I'd take one day a week to either drive in or ride the 'pack mule' bike with 4-5 days worth of clothing and lunches, then ride the roadie with a minimal load the other 4-5* days of the week.

Adapt, improvise, overcome...

* - you can always stage your food and clothing on the weekend too.
+1 My commute is 17.5 each way and this is what I do. On Mondays I carry a 'load'...probably 45-50 lbs worth on my CX w/rack panniers. The rest of the week I use my 1x8 roadie or my singlespeed w/a seatpost rack/trunkbag combo which hauls just enough. Each night I take home my shift work clothes. Uniforms aren't available to GM suppliers' employees just GM employees. Never thought of hauling enough food in for the week, but I'm going to try that starting next week.

AFA the seatpost rack snapping off I've got small frames on the rb & ss, so the rack rides pretty low, but that's a good tip...I'll keep my ears and eyes open for any cracks developing. Thanks for that.