kegoguinness
These go to eleven

Bikes: BF Pocket Crusoe; B Tikit; dust-gathering MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buzzed by a Bus

After a buzz by a passing municipal bus, I looked up the county department responsible and sent off this missive. I post in case anyone else has similar experiences and wants a template letter, and also if you have feedback as to my approach or wording, fire away. Thanks!
The Email I sent:

To Whom it May Concern,
I would like to document a bus driver (Ride On bus) who passed me, while I was on my bicycle, with about 1.5 feet-2 feet of space, inside the required 3 feet of passing space. If there is a department specifically for cyclist safety, please direct this enquiry there. Here are the details:

Bus number: 5031
Route Number: 59
Time/date: Approx 5:00pm today, Wednesday, May 20.
Location: Muddy Branch Rd, 1 block south of West Diamond Ave.
Incident: I was riding in the right lane of the two southbound lanes on Muddy Branch Rd. Driver passed me unsafely by passing within my lane and closer than the legal 3 feet of space.

I request that the driver, and all drivers (if not already standard training) be informed of the 3 feet passing rule and all code related to sharing the roads with bicycles. I am an experienced bike commuter and have taken bicycle safety and training courses through WABA (Washington Area Bicyclist Association). At the time of the incident, I was following all road rules and operating my bicycle vehicle in a safe and predictable manner; riding my bike in a straight course and at a steady pace. The driver had space, time and opportunity to safely change lanes and pass me (I have a rear-view mirror and saw the driver approaching and could also clearly see the traffic pattern behind me) but chose to pass dangerously close. I appreciate your help in making the roads safer for all parties concerned.