Old 05-21-09, 04:15 PM
JR97
Golden Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kris247
There's also a lot of homeless who camp along the trail near downtown. I've never had any problems/encounters with them, but it's not unheard of. Just ride fast, and don't make eye contact.

I think you'll probably see more traffic on JRP on the weekends than you will on the weekdays. I know there are a lot of running clubs and other pedestrians who use the trail as a good car-free training/exercise option. I would imagine this is the case on the Legacy Parkway, too.
The homeless occassionally camp out on N. Temple at the fairgrounds. They're harmless, although there's one dude who sleeps on the sidewalk on N.Temple. They can avoid that section altogether by cutting through the parking lot that is right there. But seriously, they're harmless. I'll occassionally chat it up with them and sometimes handout a granola bar. The only parts on the JRP I've had issues were some kids further south near the International Peace Gardens, further south at the park at 35th south where a lot of homeless hangout, and another time I came across some dudes getting high before 21st south. Those were isolated incidents though. I ride through some pretty rough parts of town regularly after sundown without much trouble.

The JRP through Rosepark is sparse in terms of traffic even on the weekends. The Legacy on the weekends can be a zoo.

Kris, what's your commute? Who's your buddy from Centerville? I grew up in that area.