View Single Post
Old 05-21-09, 11:05 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rustyoldbikes
A Kryptonite u-lock around the rear wheel and a beefy cable lock around the front wheel is a good level of security for a $200 bike. Half the bikes I see at local colleges have ONLY a cable lock, so the bikes with a good u-lock are rather safe...a crook can cut a cable lock in two or three seconds.
My landlord gave me a bike that some previous tenant had left behind. The only problem was that it was locked with a cable and a padlock. I borrowed a bolt cutter from the maintenance guy at school, and decided to try the padlock first, before trying the cable. I had never cut a padlock before, so I was expecting quite a battle.

I cut through it in one second. It was like slicing through soft butter.

I agree with your security analysis.

The more prevalent theft is in the area, the better the u-lock you will want. If your bike is locked adequately, and other bikes are locked with cable locks, thieves will hit the other bikes and leave yours alone.

Easiest of all for locking wheels, saddle, and stem is a set of Pitlocks, although they can get pricey. On Guard makes something similar, although for the wheels only, and not as good a quality, but then again, for a $200 bike, probably sufficient to do the job.