View Single Post
Old 05-22-09, 10:50 AM
Pinyon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thought that I would mention the stock Jalco Dynamics wheel-set that came with my 2008 Specialized Allez. I weigh about 255 lbs, and they have held up nicer than even my hand-built Mavic Open Pros on my older bike. I haven't even had to true them yet. The spoke tension has remained steady around the back wheel as well.

My plan was and is to ride them until they die, but I thought that they would already be toasted by now. The brake surfaces were a little rough when they were new (loud flakes of aluminum embed into the brake pads - even koolstops), but they smoothed right in after a 1000 miles or so (spinning the tire while holding a green nylon scrubby pad against the brake surface helped stop this too). No other complaints at all about these rims. They have a deeper-V shape than most wheels, and wire-bead Ultra Gatorskin tires are a real pain to slip over the rim. That is true of many rims these days, though.

Lots of people switch these stock tires out as soon as they get a new Specialized bike. There are a lot of them in the back of my local Specialized dealership. They use them on all of their rental bikes, and sell them to people that are looking for a bargain. I've yet to hear anyone but weight-weenies complain about them. They are also lighter than a lot of tires that they recommend for Clydes.

Worth looking around to see if you can find a pair.