View Single Post
Old 05-24-09, 09:28 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Cantilever brakes dont really have more stopping power than quality dual pivot callipers but they do allow more tyre clearance.
On my road bike I can just squeeze a 32mm inside my long drop DPs. If you want more clearance than that you need cantilevers (or V brakes)
Recessed or not depends on the fork. If the fork has a recess (like a countersink) at the the rear of the brake bolt hole you either need a recessed brake or a widget to fill it in to use a nutted brake. You cant used recessed brakes on an unrecessed fork.
Nutted brakes usually play nicer with fenders , dynamo lamps and other things that mount onto the brake bolt.
Thanks, Micheal. The frame I am looking at is set up for recessed brakes. I have a good set of nutted brakes which I can use. I use 28mm tires now, but I am not carrying big loads. If I am carrying a full load, it is important to step up to 32's, or simply a matter of comfort?